Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Citizen Kane



“Rosebud.” What is Rosebud and what does it mean? That is what everyone is trying to find out throughout the whole film, Citizen Kane, directed by Orson Welles, who also played Charles Kane. Rosebud was the last word spoken by Charles Kane before he died. This film is considered to be the number one critics’ choice. I would give this movie 2.5 out of five stars. To me the way the movie ended wasn’t very good. I felt like the meaning of Rosebud wasn’t explained very well.

Although there were things in the movie that I didn’t like, there were some things that I did like. For example, the different camera angles they had were very interesting and made it look better. In one scene when the camera in the opera house rises for dramatic to show the men’s lack of
interest. I also liked that they had so many shadows in the back round, and also the different lightings they had. For a movie from 1941, the special effects were very impressive.

At the end of the movie when you find out what rosebud is and what it really means it makes me feel like you still that you don’t know what really happened. In my opinion I don’t like movies that just leave you thinking about something and not knowing what happens next. In the film there are several symbols in it. For one there is the snow globe. The snow globes represent Kane’s’ childhood. When you see inside the snow globe it’s calm and simple just like Kane’s life with his parents before Thatcher came along. Also the sleds that are shown in the film represent Kane’s happiest moments at the beginning of the film, and a sled is also shown at the end of the film being buried with Kane. Overall I wouldn’t say that this is my favorite movie, but it does have a good storyline to it.

http://blogs.phillynews.com/inquirer/flickgrrl/Citizen%20Kane.bmp

3 comments:

  1. Excellent. Well written with good personal voice. You are welcome to find outside sources to add quotes or information about characters, just give credit to sources.
    Thanks,
    SWM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice picture and nice thought about the snow globe being Kane's childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. EXCELLENT! I loved the way you explained what you liked in the film and what you didnt like. I like your rating level.

    ReplyDelete